Question: How do I update the firmware on my headphones with the Audio-Technica Connect app?
Answer: The Audio-Technica Connect app is available for both Android and iOS devices from the appropriate download stores, and offers a lot of features for compatible Audio-Technica headphones. Once you open the app and connect to your headphones, if a new firmware version of the headphones is available, a pop-up window may appear asking if you want to download the most recent firmware. The app will walk you through the process. There are a few things to note prior to updating:
- Make certain your Audio-Technica product and Android or iOS device are in close proximity and on a stable network.
- Do not perform an update in areas with a high volume of 2.4 GHz band wavelengths, such as on a train or plane.
- Do not exit the Connect app while update is in progress.
- Stop all other apps while updating your Audio-Technica product. Using other apps while an update is in progress may cause the update to cancel.
- If the Bluetooth connection is lost during the update, delete the Bluetooth history from your Android or iOS device and charge the Audio-Technica product with the included cable to reset the product. Repeat the Bluetooth connection procedure.
- Make certain your Audio-Technica Connect app is up to date.
- The update can take up to 30 minutes for Android and up to 90 minutes for iOS. Update times may differ according to the update content.
- The Audio-Technica product cannot be used while an update is in progress.
- Make certain your Audio-Technica product has a fully charged battery prior to updating.
- Once fully charged, remove the charging cable from the Audio-Technica product and do not plug the cable back in until prompted to reset the product to complete the update.
- Do not power off your Android or iOS device while updating your Audio-Technica product.
- Do not turn off the Audio-Technica product while update data is being transmitted or an update is in progress. Doing so may render the product unusable. Wait until you receive the pop-up notification stating that the firmware update is complete.
Below is a walk-through of the firmware updating process, using the ATH-M50xBT headphones as an example. The process for updating other headphones is very similar.
- Launch the Connect app and select the headphones to update.
- If the Connect app asks to connect in “BLE Mode,” select “Yes.” If the app does not ask, go to the next step.
- If an update is available for the selected Audio-Technica product, a pop-up notification will appear asking if you want to download the updated firmware. Select “Yes.”
- Once the firmware file is ready, another pop-up notification will appear asking if you want to update the selected Audio-Technica product. Select “Yes.”
- Read the firmware update information notes and select “Next.”
- Read the Software License Agreement and check “Agree” and select “Start.” The firmware update will begin.
- During the update, if the application instructs you to restart the headphones, follow the prompts to do so.
- As the update comes to a completion, the Audio-Technica product will restart automatically and a pop-up notification will appear with the final update instructions. To complete the update process, use the included USB cable to connect your Audio-Technica product to a computer or a USB power block.
- Confirm that the indicator lamp on your Audio-Technica product is illuminated red, and then disconnect the USB cable from the headphones. Do not turn off your Audio-Technica product until you receive the pop-up notification stating that the update is complete. If your headphones have a power switch, you may need to turn it off and then back on.
- The Audio-Technica product will restart and connect via Bluetooth to your Android or iOS device.
- Open the Audio-Technica Connect app and select your newly updated product to verify the firmware version.
- Within the Connect app, select the arrow next to your product and select “Product Information.”
- Confirm that the Firmware Version has been updated.
If you need to cancel during the middle of the update, click on the “Cancel” button. You will then need to reset your Audio-Technica product. Use the included USB cable to connect your Audio-Technica product to a computer or a USB power block. Once the indicator lamp on the headphones illuminates red, you may disconnect the USB cable.
If you have questions about updating your Audio-Technica headphones with the Audio-Technica Connect app, you may contact the Audio Solutions Department.