Question: How do I restring the AT8449 and AT8441 shock mounts?
Answer: Many Audio-Technica 40 Series microphones include a shock mount, which, after some time, may need to have its elastic bands replaced to ensure a firm, secure mount. The replacement elastic bands are available through the Audio-Technica Parts Department, which may be reached at email@example.com. Once you receive the replacement bands, follow the steps below to restring your AT8441 or AT8449 shock mount and bring it back to life. (Note, the latest 40 Series microphones come with an AT8449a shock mount, which is strung differently and will be discussed in a future blog post.)
- Remove the basket from the frame by unhooking the elastic loops.
- Remove the old elastic band from the basket.
- To weave the new elastic band onto the basket, begin on the side that has eight holes – four on the thick ring, four on the thinner ring (see below). Feed the new band through the third hold from the left on the thinner ring, leaving enough of the band (roughly 1¼”) outside the basket to clamp when finished. For now, hold this portion of the band with one of your thumbs.
- From the inside, thread the elastic band through the fourth hole and then back through the next hole on the right. Leave enough slack to create a loop that will be used to mount the basket to the frame. Pull the elastic tight on the inside of the basket.
- Continue to weave the elastic band in this pattern until you come back around to where you started. This should result in four loops to mount the basket to the frame.
- Now begin to thread the other end of the basket. Bring the elastic band straight down and thread it through the second hole from the left on the thick ring. You may want to turn the basket over now to thread this end of the basket.
- Weave the elastic as you did on the other end. Once completed, adjust the elastic band so you have eight equal loops: four on the top and four on the bottom. Use the clamp that came with the elastic band and a pair of needle-nose pliers to attach the two loose ends of the band together. Trim any excess elastic.
You may now mount the basket to the frame using the elastic loops.
If you have additional questions about using your shock mount, please contact the Audio-Technica Audio Solutions Department.