Question: How do I clean my Audio-Technica headphones?
Answer: It is important to keep your headphones as clean as possible. After each use, wipe your in-ear, on-ear, or over-ear headphones with a dry cloth to prevent oil buildup and prolong the life of the product. For a more thorough cleaning, use the proper cleaning solution and follow the instructions below. Before you begin, unplug your headphones from any connected devices and remove any user replaceable batteries.
There are two recommended cleaning solutions and methods. The first uses a disinfectant soap or dishwashing detergent and the second uses ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. Read on to learn which solution/method to use with which products.
Please note, these cleaning instructions are based on general hygiene guidelines from the CDC, but they should not be understood as an effective means of disinfecting surfaces to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Please consult the proper agencies or specialists for such information.
Dissolve disinfectant soap or dishwashing detergent in water so that it is around 0.5% of the mixture (1 teaspoon of soap per quart of water).
Dissolve ethyl or isopropyl alcohol in water so that the alcohol is 70% of the mix, or use off-the-shelf 70% isopropyl alcohol.
*Cleaning solution with detergent*
Dip a soft cloth into the cleaning solution, wring out excess liquid, and wipe the surface of the product with the cloth.
*Cleaning solution with alcohol*
Place the cleaning solution in a clean spray container, spray the solution onto a soft cloth, and wipe the surface of the product with the cloth.
**Do not spray solution directly onto the products**
Headphone earpads and headband pads should be cleaned with solution #1 (alcohol-based solutions could possibly damage them), whereas eartips may be cleaned with either solution #1 or #2. After cleaning, make certain to wipe the cleaned surface with a soft cloth that has been wetted with water and wrung out. Then wipe the product with a soft dry cloth to remove any moisture. To clean foam earpads, remove them from the headphones, soak the earpads in solution #1, and softly rub the solution into the foam. When finished, rinse the foam earpads with water, then use a dry cloth to absorb the moisture and dry the earpads thoroughly.
Exterior parts not mentioned above should be cleaned with a soft cloth that has been wetted with water and wrung out. While cleaning, take extra care that no moisture comes in contact with any of the internal electronics in the headphones. Use solution #1 to wipe down cables. Make certain not to wipe the connectors or allow any moisture to come in contact with the internal electronics, which may damage the product. When finished, use a soft dry cloth to wipe up any moisture left on the exterior parts or cables.
It is important that all components be completely dry prior to plugging them back into an electronic circuit.
Important Safety Measures:
- Do not use detergent intended for cleaning laundry, toilets, or kitchen extractor fans, which might damage products.
- Before cleaning, check precautions and proper uses of detergent/solvent to be dissolved.
- Prepare cleaning solution only at the time of cleaning. Do not store any leftover solution.
- Keep away from small children to avoid accidental swallowing.
- When using the solution with alcohol, provide sufficient ventilation and do not ignite a flame while cleaning (solution #2 is flammable).
- Use alcohol-resistant container for the solution with alcohol.
- Do not disassemble products for cleaning other than as instructed above.
- Wear latex gloves, face masks, and safety goggles while cleaning to prevent allergic reaction or infection from contaminated surfaces.
- Warranty is not provided for any physical changes in exterior parts due to these cleaning methods or any defects due to incorrect cleaning.
- Do not clean contact points/terminals/connectors. Doing so may lead to product failure or damage.
- These cleaning methods are more thorough than those listed in the product instruction manuals. If followed correctly, these methods will not harm the functioning of a product, but may cause some cosmetic changes, such as discoloration of the product surface.
If you have further questions about cleaning your Audio-Technica headphones, please contact the Audio Solutions Department.