Question: How do I change the element in an A-T boundary microphone?
Answer: Many of the hanging, gooseneck, and boundary microphones in Audio-Technica’s popular UniPoint® and Engineered Sound lines have interchangeable elements, allowing you to use different microphone elements in the same microphone casing for a variety of pickup options. There are three interchangeable elements available for UniPoint boundary mics: UE-C (cardioid), UE-H (hypercardioid), and UE-O (omnidirectional). And there are three elements available for Engineered Sound boundary mics: ESE-C (cardioid), ESE-H (hypercardioid), and ESE-O (omnidirectional). (Note: UniLine and MicroLine elements are not usable with boundary microphones due to the length of the elements.)
The process for changing out the element in an A-T boundary microphone, such as the U851R, is quite simple. Just follow the steps below.
- Use a utility knife or similar tool to carefully remove the A-T logo sticker, exposing the screw
- Loosen and remove the now-exposed screw
- Remove the microphone grill
- Remove the two screws as indicated
- Remove the protective mesh
- Loosen and remove the indicated screw and remove the clamp
- Using your fingers, turn the microphone element counterclockwise to unscrew it from the socket
- Screw the replacement microphone element into the socket
- Follow steps 1-6 in reverse order to reassemble your boundary microphone
IMPORTANT: To keep your UniGuard® RFI immunity intact, be certain when replacing the wire mesh in step 5 that it fully covers the opening and makes contact with the metal edges of the chassis.
You may use the same A-T sticker that was removed in step 1 or get a replacement sticker through our Parts Department by contacting them at Parts@atus.com or at (330) 686-2600 ext. 5002. If you have further questions about changing out your Audio-Technica interchangeable microphone elements, feel free to reach out to the Audio Solutions Department for further assistance.